Blog of Oonah V Joslin -- please visit my Parallel Oonahverse at WordPress

where I post stories and poems that have not been seen elsewhere - also recipes and various other stuff. http://oovj.wordpress.com/

and see me At the Cumberland Arms 2011









Saturday 11 July 2020

July 2020: of Lilies and Shamrocks

Today would have been my brother-in-law Hubert's 86th Birthday. A bit like my husband (born Guy Fawkes Night) there were bonfires on his birthday and he always joked they were in honour of him. He was a good man and like my father an Orangeman but for us it was always just a bit of fun, an excuse for icecream and to watch the big parade. It wasn't that partisan! We lived in a peaceful mixed housing estate. Everybody repected everybody else's traditions. It was a good time and place to grow up. This poem reflects the sadness I feel that it all went wrong -- as if it was ever 'right'. But I am fairly certain that the Union is breaking up and that the lily and and shamrock will reunite at some point in the future. Not everybody will welcome that. I know that my father regarded it as inevitable because England has never really cared about any part of Ireland. It was just another part of Empire to be exploited.


In my garden today



Two wrongs

­
It was always the tall orange lily-o

and the sprig of sweet william I loved;

the drum beat, the drum beat, the rain of July

fashioned black bowler hats and white gloves.



There was oh such regalia all strutting with pride

danced on silk banners and gables and flags,

bands on the tarmac, ice-cream in the field,

a litter of people and fags.



Wide were the eyes of those innocent days

down unperturbed marches of years

upheld by religion, supported by crowns,

yet still barricaded in fears.



But the lilies, exploded, exploded in grief,

disunited like tattered flags lie

ghosting green hedgerows the bullet, the knife,

red pools for both shamrock and lily to die.

© 2020

Also in my garden today 


No comments:

Post a Comment